There is no doubt that safety is a Volvo core value; when thinking of Volvo, safety immediately comes to mind. But did you know, another Volvo core value is environmental care?
Environmental care influences all Volvo operations. Volvo envisions it all...between their efficient and less polluting Drive-E powertrain, to the air inside a Volvo, which is cleaner than that outside air thanks to Volvo's climate control system. Most recently, Volvo has debuted the all-new 2016 XC90 T8 Plug-in-Hybrid---the first hybrid luxury SUV to be powered by gas, electric energy and other cars. Take a look at Volvo's unique XC90 T8 campaign:
Here are just some of many environmental firsts from Volvo:
- 1945 Volvo introduces re-manufactured spare parts - an exchange system still in use
- 1976 Three-way catalytic converter with oxygen sensor (Lambdasond®) removes up to 90% of noxious exhaust fumes. Volvo received the US national environmental industry award for "excellence in pollution control."
- 1987 Torslanda water treatment plant removes 90% of harmful effluents
- 1989 Volvo demonstrates alcohol power technology: cleanest car tested to date
- 1990 First award of Volvo Environment Prize
- 1991 The new paint shop in Volvo's Torslanda plant becomes the car industry's cleanest, due to use of efficient technology and processes, including water-based paint.
- 1991 Volvo produces its first CFC-free car – entirely without ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons.
- 1995 Volvo Bi-Fuel, Volvo Cars' first generation of methane-driven cars
- 1998 Introduction of PremAir® - a radiator coating designed to convert harmful ground-level ozone into pure oxygen
- 1999 IAQS (Interior Air Quality System) introduced for cleaner cabin air
- 2002 Volvo Adventure environmental education program for young people (formerly Volvo Young Environmentalist Award)
- 2004 Volvo Cars' new V8 engine is world's first V8 to comply with ULEV II
- 2008 Volvo uses only green electricity (hydropower) in European manufacturing units
- 2009 The newly announced Volvo XC60 reaches a 95% recyclable level
- 2011 Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid produced in Europe
- 2011 Volvo C30 Electric
- 2012 Volvo XC60 Plug-in Hybrid concept car
- 2013 Production of new high-efficient VEA Drive E-engine range
- 2015 Debut of the Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-in-Hybrid
Come celebrate Earth Day with Lehman Motors at the Mechanicsburg Earth Day Festival on Saturday, April 23rd from 9am-3pm in Downtown Mechanicsburg! Click here to learn more!