Breast Cancer Survivor Story by Jennifer Entler

Jennifer Entler is not only a valued Lehman Volvo employee of 19 years, but she is also a Breast Cancer Survivor. As many of us know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but to Jennifer every month is a chance to spread awareness of this terrible disease that affects so many loved ones. She is a huge advocate for mammograms and believes that early detection saves lives. Spreading the word about the importance of routine mammograms is Jennifer's goal. Read her story below.

My Breast Cancer Journey

By: Jennifer Entler

1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I AM, simply 1 of 8.

In April of 2014, at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with breast cancer after my very first mammogram. After five more mammograms, one biopsy, one MRI, one MRI Assisted Biopsy and an ultra sound, DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) was found in my left breast and was removed. I had 8 weeks of radiation after surgery to further insure the cancer would not come back and prescribed Tamoxifen as a preventative for a term of 5 years.

After a scare in June 2016 which required an additional biopsy that came back clear, I am confident I will be released from treatment in June of 2019. I also had genetic testing done to make sure I was not the “Red Flag” in my family. Breast Cancer can be passed down genetically so I wanted to be sure my family members were safe. Those tests, thankfully, also came back negative.

I have become a HUGE advocate for mammograms. I am a firm believer that early detection saves lives. It saved mine and both of my breasts. Had I not gone and had my mammogram when I did, my prognosis would have been drastically different. I am living proof that early detection is a key to fighting this disease that affects so many of our loved ones. Just imagine how many women could be saved by early detection!

Currently I am active with local support group “Breast Friends of York” and most recently I have become a LiveStrong Instructor. LiveStrong at the YMCA is a Free 12 week research based program that supports all cancer survivors in regaining their physical, emotional, and spiritual strength. Being a Graduate of the program myself, it seemed a perfect way to get involved with other Cancer Survivors as we all share similar emotions, fears, experiences and expectations no matter what kind of Cancer we are diagnosed with. I absolutely love being part of my local LiveStrong Family.

Once again for the month of October, Lehman Volvo Cars has teamed up with the Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition’s “Drive Out Breast Cancer”. The PBCC is THE source of action and information for both the newly-diagnosed and the long term Breast Cancer Survivor. I have attended their annual Conference every year since my diagnosis! 90% of all donations to the PBCC go toward programs providing breast cancer education and outreach including: Friends Like Me™, the PBCC Breast Cancer Research Initiative, the Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition Annual Conference, and their traveling photo exhibit 67 Women - 67 Counties: Facing Breast Cancer in Pennsylvania™. Please help them with their mission of finding a cure now…so our daughters won’t have to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lehman Volvo York’s #1 Service Department

Here is your Volvo Safety...

How do I get one of those red plates?!